Re: Tektronix 570 Vacuum Tube Curve Tracer on eBay

Roy Thistle

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 11:25 AM, Greg Muir wrote:

the vacuum tube equipment still possessed by the military for use when EMP
from a nuclear blast renders a portion of the solid-state hardware useless.
Hi Greg:
Although obviously I am privy to very little information about what the "military" has, or does not have... I am doubtful, if the military keeps any vacuum tube type equipment because of "transistorized" = solid state equipment failing due to NEMP. The reason I say this is that... at least the high EMF generated by the Type 1 pulse of a NEMP event requires relatively long conductors to couple energy. Small conducting paths; small inductor values, fully metallically shielded, and enclosed cases... besides other common EMP hardening measures... significantly null out NEMP effects.
That said... militaries are working on... and due claim to have... EMP weapons that act to produce extremely large local EMP pulse that can disable/destroy EMP hardened gear very locally... or so they say.
Cheers. Best regards and wishes.
Roy