Re: Tektronix 570 Vacuum Tube Curve Tracer on eBay

peter bunge

I had a University EE Summer Student who did not know how a tube worked so
I broke a 6SN7 and showed him the parts. He then said tubes were no longer
used so I asked him what he thought was in our 100kW RF amp that drove the
Superconducting Cyclotron, and how he would replace it with Solid State. I
then told him his theories MIGHT work but how would Solid State handle the
huge reflected power often sent back to the amplifier, and survive?
I'm not sure how I would test a 4CW200,000 (if I remember the 200kW water
cooled tube number correctly). The HV power supply was bigger than our
kitchen.

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 4:01 PM Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7pF>
wrote:

Hi Richard,

It may seem that vacuum tubes are history but nothing could be further
from the truth. To my amazement I have sold almost 200 of my little VTCT
Adapter boards. That really surprised me. That gives people a way to avoid
paying $5,000 for a 570 Tube Tester. It still costs at least a few hundred
dollars with my adapter because you still need some kind of transistor
curve tracer and a tube tester.

There are many applications that use tubes these days. Vacuum tube
manufacturing never went away and now the Russians are producing a lot of
them. But there are many other companies also doing it. A top of the line
vacuum tube audio amplifier will set you back $100,000 and eventually the
push-pull output tubes will need balancing or replacing. Likewise, rock
guitarists all use tube amplifiers, not solid state. The sound of tube
guitar amplifiers is sweeter and the guitarist can create far more classic
rock sound effects with tube amps than with solid state amplifiers. Like
with the home audio amplifiers, a lot depends on the push-pull output tubes
being balanced. Having balanced output tubes is essential to getting the
most from your guitar amplifier.

Testing transmitter tubes is another application for a tube curve tracer.

Dennis Tillman W7PF