From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Eric
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2020 9:08 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Tektronix 570 Vacuum Tube Curve Tracer on eBay

SMU is source measure unit. From the KB i saw from Keithley there is a way to do curve tracing with the 2461 and the 2471. It requires 2 units at $9,600 each an interconnecting cable cat 5 on each out to a computer which has the Keithley lab suite software. I think the setup is one SMU for collector voltage and the other controls base current. The units sweep some set points then the software plots and excel style graph from the measured points. There was a KB that Keithley put out on how to set everything up I will see if i can dig it up.

On 1/5/2020 10:51 AM, peter bunge wrote:
So what is a SMU?

SMU Singapore Management University
SMU Southern Methodist University
SMU Saint Mary's University *(Halifax, Nova Scotia; Philippines)* SMU
Solid (Waste) Management Unit SMU Saint Mary's University of Minnesota
SMU Sikkim Manipal University *(India)* SMU Suomen Merimies-Unioni
*(Finnish: Finnish Seamen's Union)* SMU Sindicato Médico del Uruguay
SMU Storage Migrator for Unix SMU Shanghai Maritime University
*(Shanghia, China)* SMU Santa Monica United *(soccer; California)* SMU
Swansea Metropolitan University *(UK)* SMU Sekolah Menengah Umum
*(Indonesian High school)* SMU Special Management Unit SMU Services
Médicaux d'Urgence *(French: Emergency Medical Services)* SMU Southern
Mississippi University SMU Special Mission Unit *(US DoD)* SMU System
Management Utility SMU Smallest Mining Unit SMU Start Me Up SMU
Southeastern Massachusetts University *(formerly used, now Umass)* SMU
Source Measurement Unit SMU Storage Management Utility *(data
storage)* SMU Special Make Up SMU Selective Mining Unit SMU Sociedad
Mexicana de Urología SMU System Managed Undo *(Oracle Databases)* SMU
Sediment Management Unit SMU Supply Management Unit SMU Sassy
Management Unit SMU Small Marching Unit SMU Switch Multiplexer Unit
SMU Secure Mobile Unit SMU Service Meter Unit SMU Scrutin Majoritaire
Uninominal *(French: Single Member Plurality)* SMU Service Management
Unit SMU Strategic Market Unit SMU Switch Multiplex Unit SMU Svenska
Missionskyrkans Ungdomsförbund *(Swedish Christian Youth
Organisation)* SMU Storage Management Unit SMU Secours Médical
d'Urgence
*(French: Emergency Medical Relief; various organizations)* SMU
Subscriber Module Urban SMU Single-Word, Multiple-Bit Upset SMU
Software Maintenance Update *(Cisco)* SMU Speaker/Microphone Unit *(US
NASA)* SMU System Master Unit SMU Sindh Madressah University
*(Karachi, Pakistan)* SMU Shelter Management Unit *(US FEMA)* SMU
Space Management Utility SMU Small and Medium-Sized Undertaking SMU
System Measurement Unit SMU Simple Mail Users SMU Space Self
Maneuvering Unit SMU Secours Mondial d'Urgence *(French: World
Emergency Relief)* SMU Super Module Unit SMU Super Millionaire
University *(fictional, from TV show Gilligan's Island)* SMU Smoke Me
Up SMU Safe Mode Utility SMU Special Maintenance Unit *(India)*

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 10:10 AM Eric <ericsp@...> wrote:

Is there a modern version of these curve tracers? From what I have
seen the 300 series seems to be about the top end. I know you can get
the same functionality today but you need 2 X $10,000 SMU's, and a
computer, and software so call it a $25,000 setup though given the
catalog price of the 576 and the 300's doesn't sound so bad now that I say it.

On 1/5/2020 6:59 AM, cnc_joker via Groups.Io wrote:
A long time ago in the early 80's the Massachusetts hams ran an
auction
at Honeywell Inc
in Billerica. You could bring your old electronic stuff and they would
auction it off. It was
great fun and always well attended.

Anyway, one guy brought a 370 to be auctioned. As he wheeled it in on
a cart the crowd
chuckled. When it went up for auction it sold for $1 and the
auctioneer had a hard time
getting even that! Between then and now, what a great return on that
investment.
Pete.

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF