From: KB6NAX
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2020 6:32 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Trying to bring back a AA501

Eric, the 74C157 and 74HC157 are the same logic functions but are members of
two distinctly different semiconductor processes. The 74C157 belongs to the
metal gate family, the first of the CMOS families. It's maximum toggle
speed is in the neighborhood of 5 - 10 Hz and it's operating voltage ranges
from 3 - 15V. The 74HC157 belongs to the later silicon gate high speed CMOS
family. It toggles at up to around 35MHz. It’s operating voltage maxes at
6 volts. So the rub is knowing what the rail voltage is in the 501. If
it's 5 volts the "HC" part may work OK, but it's not guaranteed if the logic
in the 501 is susceptible to timing issues with much faster through gate
transmission times.

Arden