Re: TDS3044B repair

Tom B

Hello All,

I finally had time to get back to fixing the TDS3044B with no display.   The problem turned out to be a bad solder joint on a surface mount choke that supplied Vcc to the display.  The crack was so small it could barely been seen on a microscope.  So, the problem was not the display.  For those that need a display for a TDS3000B, the real part number is NEC NL6448BC20-08E.  The other thing that was helpful in troubleshooting the display was a Hirose connector part number DF9A-31P.  This gave me some more room to probe the display connections on the main board.  Now I need to find the hub bits that hold the handle on the scope.  If someone knows where to get those please let me know.

Tom Bryan

On 11/7/2019 10:00 PM, Tom B wrote:
Hi Dave,

If you look at this video https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_gvjmKHN4Y__;!b9GWhakWANQ!wEpfxjysOXjFgv3ZjJzwPT00sPf81J7-h9F-OyCNJMU1-f5Y3AG4Mbyun-yU$ it shows a part number on the back of the display as 65BLM04 and on the front of the display the tag says NL6448BC20-08.  If you search each of these part numbers on ebay, the price is very different when they are actually the same part.   The cheapest price I could find for the 65BLM05 is $158.74 (used), while the cheapest price for the NL6448BC20-08 is $88 for a new part. These appear to be exactly the same part.  Any idea if there is any difference?

Tom

On 11/7/2019 2:28 PM, David Kuhn wrote:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=261&;v=iVU0YPIeovM__;!b9GWhakWANQ!wbXzExaWmEY10yA6ddr1j7dzMVPNV7j4iMLI9u6paEFuQ5tXhS6mqOV8S_HN$

https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://lcdparts.net/UBDetail.aspx?ProductID=3796__;!b9GWhakWANQ!wbXzExaWmEY10yA6ddr1j7dzMVPNV7j4iMLI9u6paEFuQ5tXhS6mqCtAAjYv$

Looks like a perfect solution for the NEC on the TDS3000 series and in the
NEC 65BLM05 Display (virtually the same display as the one TEK uses) in the
instruments I do a lot of work on.

Unlike the video, I would not remove the paper exposing the glue when
installing the strips.  I don't want those LED strips permanently in my
LCDs in case they fail.

Dave