From: Dennis Tillman W7PF
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2020 11:43 PM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] 577D1 itching issue - Haven't touched since, currently in storage

Chuck, Bruce, and Arden,
All my life I assumed there was little more to learn from how a Variac works. They appear to be pretty simple and a very clever. This has accounted for their incredibly useful life spanning more than 85 years.

The practical side of me says it is a very bad idea to short out a turn on a transformer with 120 (more or less) turns and 120V across it. So tomorrow I will test this by intentionally hooking a short piece of wire from one turn to its neighbor while I am holding the wire in my hand. If you are right the wire won't get hot and I will learn something new. If I am right I will get burned and never trust the three of you again. Either way you have nothing to lose. :)

I will report the results either way.

Dennis Tillman W7PF