Re: TDS3012B NVRAM

amirb

Hi David,
but what about the data stored in the chip? how did you transferred the original NVRAM content?
I think it has the number of hours and power cycles and also SPC constants in it, right?

Happy New Year to all :o)

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 03:53 PM, David Kuhn wrote:

Ah, I just saw your pics. You are tight too. That must be a very low
profile socket. I think maybe even more so that my lead carrier pins. My
business depends on my original TDS3032. When this chip failed, I ordered
another TDS3032 from Alltest Instruments in NJ (~$1500). While I waited
for it to arrive, I did replace the DRAM in my original. I was way too
stupidly nervous at the time (I had to get back up and running) to dig the
chip out, so I bought a NOS ram. It was okay and worked good. I still use
my original as my primary (it's my baby - lol and seems to work slightly
better than my "new" one). If I have to do it again, I will definitely do
it the way you did!

I did learn that I have to hold the B TRIG in while booting it to initiate
that RAM chip. The screen came up in all kinds of pretty colors without
doing that - lol. Its been good now for about a year and went through
ISO17025 certification well.

Dave

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 3:40 PM Daveyk021 . <daveyk021@...> wrote:

Hello Raymond,

"That is not necessary. I've added a few pictures of the initial
test-setup in my TDS3034 (now TDS3054) to the album "Clock error on
TDS3034", before clean-up. It can be seen that there's ample space for a
normal socket and putting a Li cell on top of the RAM"

With my TDS3032 (no bloody A, or B, or C...), I tried a zero insertion
force socket, and another lower profile version, and neither would fit in
my scope as the I/O module would hit it. I ended up using lead carrier
pins (real old school form the 1980s there, maybe earlier). With lead
carriers, it is just slightly higher (maybe 1/8" - 3/16"), and even then,
on my scope, the chip "just" cleaned the GPIB/VGA/RS232 module. Maybe on
the TDS3034, the chip is in a different location?

Dave

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 1:03 PM Raymond Domp Frank <@Raymond>
wrote:

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 05:00 PM, David Kuhn wrote:

When replacing the chip, install a VERY LOW PROFILE socket (pin
carriers)
on the PCB.
That is not necessary. I've added a few pictures of the initial
test-setup in my TDS3034 (now TDS3054) to the album "Clock error on
TDS3034", before clean-up. It can be seen that there's ample space for a
normal socket and putting a Li cell on top of the RAM

Yesterday, I wrote:

You'll find what you're looking for in my message #157465 in thread
"Clock error on TDS3034", including link to pictures of the Dallas
Module.
Link to the photos:

Raymond