Re: 1502 TDR project

Tom Gardner

On 11/12/19 17:04, John Griessen wrote:
On 12/11/19 9:50 AM, Tom Gardner wrote:
So, just stopping the pack discharge is not enough.
The cells need to be managed separately as in today's
lithium ion battery manager IC's and no cells in series...
A cell cannot reverse charge itself. The weakest cell in a battery can be reverse charged as the other cells continue to discharge themselves through the load.
So, self discharge can never pull charge in from other cells in series?
I find it difficult to understand what you are thinking of there.

No cell can "pull in charge"; charge has to be forced in.

There is a difference between self discharging and reverse charging.
Self discharge occurs in an /isolated/ cell, i.e. where there is no electric circuit and hence no current outside the cell. The self discharge currents are solely inside the cell.
Reverse charging can only occur where multiple cells are connected in a circuit and current is flowing in that circuit.

Perhaps it is best to try to understand all my statements together, not to take one in isolation.