I used some sand paper and pressed on the variac windings I carefully slid the carbon brush across it to make sure there is even and complete contact patch on the windings.
The stop is adjusted so the brush is setting similar as before, safely on the windings.
I now get at 6.5V and at 50mV a division a 2 division line.
My work is officially done with the variac and everything still works, everything together, covers back on
I should add when i had the wiper parked so far back previously to minimize the collector supply issue, parked off the winding on the plate, I noticed the transition being non linear. Slightly turning the control the voltage would suddenly instantly increase instead of being smooth