Re: 465B soft start?

Tom Gardner

Switching power supplies operate to keep the output power constant.
Hence if the input voltage is lower, the input current must be higher.

Increased current stresses components such as the rectifiers and
switching transistors.

On 18/11/2019, treasurer@... <treasurer@...> wrote:
Is there much to be gained by powering up my 465B with a variac, lamp dimmer
or similar arrangement? It popped (shorted) its 1200 ufd C4429 at power on
recently. This cap does not have much head room with its 100 volt rating and
70 volts sitting on it. I'm thinking a soft power up may help prolong the
life of those caps. Any thoughts or past experience from the group using
this power-on approach?
Bruce