Re: 2465 Fan Collet Thingy

Siggi

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 12:15 AM Chuck Harris <cfharris@...> wrote:

I am not sure that an all plastic printed solution will
work... tektronix didn't think so, and made a much more
expensive metal/plastic hybrid.
A home-printed plastic fused-filament collet almost certainly won't work,
those things will delaminate at the shade of a hint of a threat of any
stress in my experience. I'd be surprised if Shapeways and other commercial
services couldn't produce a usable part using SLS in nylon-like plastics
<https://www.shapeways.com/materials/versatile-plastic>.
I did machine a batch of these collets from delrin/acetal, and those will
work just fine - delrin will hold the thread just dandy. (I've been
shipping these out for postage, but I'm out of stock now - alas).
The reason Tektronix used an insert is IMHO not for strength, but because
you can't injection-mold threads, and a secondary machining step on this
collet would be awkward.
Injection molding around an insert is however no big deal, and you can
potentially use the same insert in many different injection-molded parts.
Machining the part from raw stock would also have been expensive in the
day, but the inserts would have dropped out of a screw machine by the
hundreds/minute.

Siggi