Upgrading a TDS3BAT

Magic_Smoke

Hello all,

I picked up a tired TDS3BAT (NiCd chemistry, probably containing a failed cell or two) and I was pondering my options for rehabilitation. I will admit I have not even taken the thing apart yet, but in the modern era of batteries we find ourselves I cannot help but think of rewiring it to use lithium cells instead. Does anyone have experience or documentation for these units, and if such a change is practical? I imagine the charging circuit would need replacing, depending on how much of the work happens on the battery side vs. the scope side I am hoping dropping in a dedicated lithium charger will do the trick. Has anyone actually tried this, though? Any pitfalls? Thanks!