Re: Topic title debate, was RE: [TekScopes] 7000 still hard to beat

G Hopper

Tom,

Thank you!

At the risk of aggravating some readers, I'll say that I think that by
sharing these viewpoints and perspectives, some people (hopefully most)
will alter their mindset and approach and not only respect the idea of
staying on topic or taking the time to to edit the subject to indicate a
subtle change in topic, but that others will be a tiny bit more tolerant to
these "frolics and detours". Both approaches, particularly combined, will
achieve a higher level of satisfaction for everyone.

In this day and age, people seem only too willing to find a reason to take
offense when the best path (and mentally healthiest path) is in fact to
find a reason to overlook the offense (though perhaps it is ok to call it
out) and focus on the positives. Another part of that is the mindfulness
that includes a respect for others and even for what those expectations
might be. Dealing with expectations and the connected emotion can be a
tough/frustrating thing. Especially when it surrounds something that
people look to for pleasure.

Heck, instead of working hard to be offended, we need to both work hard to
respect others, find the positives, and forgive the "trespasses". One of my
"happy thoughts" is the scene from "Life of Brian" where they sing "Always
look on the bright side of life"!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M not a bad philosophy.

Hopefully this all contributes to members wanting to help and share even
more.

Grant

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 8:42 PM fiftythreebuick <ae5i@...> wrote:

Hi Grant-

Thanks much for your thoughtful post!

From reading the messages in this thread, it appears that the source of
disagreement is the fact that different folks experience a very different
level of aggravation from subject drift in a thread. Honestly, what you
referred to about clicking on a thread and finding out that the subject has
drifted significantly from what the header advertises really doesn't bother
me at all. But, I realize that it aggravates the very daylights out of
some folks! :-) And you're right, I do initially read new messages in an
email digest. I get into a browser to reply or to read a whole thread
though.

I do hope the issue does not continue to disturb the nature of the group.
Too much good info and too many good folks here!

Tom

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 01:51 PM, G Hopper wrote:

Tom,
I think one reason you might not appreciate Craig's comment and position
is
twofold. First, is that I would guess that you're reading the posts via
email and so, I agree, it is very easy to delete, but I think we've all
been at the spot where we open an email thinking it is about one thing,
and
it turns out to be about something different. The extreme of that is
spam
advertising. Opening an email thinking it's about 7000 series stuff only
find it doesn't have anything to do with the stated subject except in a
vague or oblique way, can be just as frustrating and would also fit the
definition of spam from a content point of view.

Second is that when searching on line and hoping to find an answer,
particularly with detail or troubleshooting, I personally find it more
pleasing to not have a lot of extraneous stuff in a topic/subject thread.
While it seems impossible to achieve these days, it's a laudable, and
apparently achievable goal.

Having said that, When I opened the thread, I didn't expect a 7000 only
post. In fact, the post pretty much fit what I expected, a story. In
fact
the subject like practically advertised that there would be a story. I
did
like the story as well :-) After all, it told of reasons why the 7000
series is useful and part of that is an incredibly necessary explanation
of
how and why the writer came to that conclusion so that as readers we
might
consider whether we agree with his premise that "7000 still hard to
beat".
He seemed to tell a story that made that point well.

So, in my estimation of things, Craig's original premise (that the OP's
"subject" and contents were inconsistent and not appropriately
descriptive)
wasn't reasonable, but his comments about keeping reply posts on topic or
at least highly pertinent to the original topic was (again IMHO) a good
and
important point we should all endeavor to subscribe to.

Grant

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 1:33 PM fiftythreebuick <ae5i@...> wrote:

Hi Craig-

I must be missing something....

If I click on a thread and see that it's veered off topic so that it's
no
longer of interest to me, it only takes oh maybe 3 - 5 seconds to
click on
another thread. That doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but am I
missing
something? I genuinely don't understand the problem!

Have a great evening!

Tom

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 08:02 AM, Craig Sawyers wrote:

Here's the thing Chuck - if the topic was called something like
"2465B
and
7000 series - a comparison"
or something similar that would have been more informative of the
thread
topic.

I have a lot of interest in the 7000 series and none at all in the
2465B
(apart from anything else I
have no room left for any other series!) - hence my chagrin at
opening
posts
and expecting it to be
about the 7000 series and finding it was something else entirely.

Frustratingly this happens all the time, and renders it difficult to
impossible to find relevant posts
in the archives.

There is one list I'm a long standing member of
(https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php ) where
if a thread strays off topic the mods simply delete the straying
posts,
often
within minutes. And
don't even tell you if and why your post has vanished.

I'm not remotely suggesting that we go down that route - just a
little
more
discipline in (a) using
an informative title for the thread and (b) if the thread changes to
different topic to change the
working title to reflect that.

We agree about the politics entirely ;-)

Craig