Re: Correct Silver solder

Jamie Ostrowski

60% tin/ 37% lead, and 3% SILVER...sorry for the typo!

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 9:49 PM Jamie Ostrowski <jamie.ostrowski@...>
wrote:

Tektronix in the 50's said the actual correct solder is 60% tin, 37% lead,
and 3% solder. The details are highlighted in this video, made in the 50s
by Tektronix, for soldering to ceramic strips.

Here is the video which covers the procedure in detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpB5JqGo1co

Maybe 2% would work, but if you're working on restoring a 555, why take
the chance on compromise?

Just me! :-)

Good luck with your project.

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 9:26 PM Richard R. Pope <mechanic_2@...>
wrote:

Bruce,
I would use the same solder that the original builders used. 60/40
or 63/37 lead/tin rosin core solder.
GOD Bless and Thanks,
rich!

On 11/1/2019 9:08 PM, greenboxmaven via Groups.Io wrote:
I am beginning restoration on a 555 I got a few months ago. What is
the correct alloy of solder for the ceramic tie strips? I have found
both tin/lead/silver and lead-free, both with 2% silver content . Are
these satisfactory? Is 2% silver enough, or is a richer alloy needed?
Thanks, Bruce, KA2IVY