Re: Correct Silver solder

Bob Albert

I think 2% is okay, with lead preferred since that's what they used.
In my case, I found a piece of silver solder my dad had for his jewelry repairs and using some of it alternately with tin-lead seems to do the job for the terminal strips.  So apparently the fraction isn't critical.
Bob

On Friday, November 1, 2019, 07:11:24 PM PDT, greenboxmaven via Groups.Io <ka2ivy=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

I am beginning restoration on a 555 I got a few months ago. What is the
correct alloy of solder for the ceramic tie strips?  I have found both
tin/lead/silver and lead-free, both with 2% silver content .  Are these
satisfactory?  Is 2% silver enough, or is a richer alloy needed? Thanks,
Bruce, KA2IVY