Re: Chart Recorder and Its Replacement

Daniel Koller

Hmmm....  I can't think of any specific instruments that I have that do this, but I have used some in the past.  But in general, one outputs to an X-Y recorder, to be specific.  The only functions the instrument needs to output are X-out, Y-out and Pen_Down.   Most if not all HP X-Y recorders have a Pen-Down pin on a rear connector.  The output from the instrument is then generated with simple vector graphics.
  I suppose you could use a strip-chart recorder with time as the X-axis for things like scope plots, but then you need an appropriate sweep speed and instead of a pen_down line, you need a sweep_enable line.   Various strip chart recorders also have such a feature as an external input.  You could sync a very slow sweep from an oscilloscope to the chart recorder.
  If, for example, you wanted to output the trace of a 545 oscilloscope, for a slow sweep (one taking a few seconds to sweep the screen) you could do it two ways.  1) Connect the sweep output to the X input of an X-Y recorder, the Vertical signal Out to the Y input, scale both accordingly, and connect the A gate output to the Pen_down line.    OR, you could use a strip chart recorder.  Connect the A gate to the sweep_enable function, and the Vertical output to Y in.
Dan

On Monday, October 14, 2019, 11:19:36 PM EDT, paul.delamusica@... <paul.delamusica@...> wrote:

I apologize in advance for this question not being specific to Tektronix. But I think many of you are familiar with what I am about to ask.

In old instruments, the output is often send out to a chart recorder. The signal is typically sent through two connectors, one of them is kept at ground. I suppose the recorder would need special signals for "start recording" and "end recording". Can someone explain how this is done?

Thanks.