Re: In search of Impeller Fan Fastener For Tek 2465 - Part # 243104001

Chuck Harris

As an engineer who is very comfortable in the machine shop,
(I won't say I'm a machinist), I agree, but brass is still
better.

My reasoning is that any brass you find will be very good
for machining, and adequate for strength. I can't say the
same about any aluminum you find.... imagine the recycled
chewing gum they sell as aluminum stock in the hardware store.

If you really use 6061, and especially T6061, you will have
a working collet when you are done.

The original was a plastic collet with a 6-32 screw molded
into the plastic. So overall strength is not much of an issue.

I don't think it very much matters what you make it out
of... even some plastics would be fine, if you can cut the
threads to size.

The collet doesn't screw into anything. The threads are used
as the collet closer, and are pulled with an ordinary nut.
The collet's tapered cone is inside of the fan's hub.

-Chuck Harris

EricJ via Groups.Io wrote:

Chuck, the 6-32 thread won't be any stronger in brass than in aluminum - in fact most likely weaker. Two benefits to brass as I see it are easier machining and less likely to corrode and seize the thread - the likely culprit if aluminum ones are breaking. What material are they screwed into?

--Eric

On Oct 9, 2019 10:25 AM, Chuck Harris <cfharris@...> wrote:

Tom Jobe's were made of brass.

The collet is made from billet (eg solid rod). If you
use aluminum, you are going to have trouble threading the
6-32 section without breaking it. And, some future user
is likely to twist it off, or break the screw slot, when
they guess wrongly that the screw is turned to remove the
fan.

I would use brass or steel.

-Chuck Harris

EricJ via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Chuck,

Found it. Slight discrepancy though - you mentioned these were made of
brass and the print says 6061 (aluminum). Which is preferable for these?

--Eric

On Oct 9, 2019 9:15 AM, Chuck Harris <cfharris@...> wrote:

Hi Eric,

There is already a blue print for the collets
in the files section of this group. I have a
copy if you can't find it.