Re: National Instruments GPIB-400

Kyle Rhodes

I picked up one of the $90 Agilent adapters on eBay recently, and it works
perfectly. It comes with a disc of software too, all installed and
functions perfectly on Win 7, nothing appears "fishy" to me regarding the
adapter or software. It's super well made actually, seems totally legit.
The plastic case, wire, thumbscrews, all top-notch. The only weird/fishy
thing was the test certificate included was clearly a copy of a copy of a
copy... The box and everything else looks legit, there's even a tamper
proof sticker on the box, that was cut, "presumably" for inspection
purposes.

In any case, I agree with most of the stuff said here -- and also agree
there's no way a USB-GPIB adapter should cost $1k. That's the sort of
price tag set for large companies, where it's just a small line item next
to the cost of a large instrument.

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 12:47 PM Bob Albert via Groups.Io <bob91343=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

So the high prices are not for hardware but for satisfaction of greed. I
am surprised that the Chinese haven't found a way to get around that.
The bottom line, for me, is that I will manage without GPIB. My main
interest is learning to use it rather than actually having a need. So that
will have to wait until my usual sources come through. Those being the
largess of others or estate sales, etc.
Bob
On Monday, September 30, 2019, 05:32:06 AM PDT, cnc_joker via
Groups.Io <peter=reilley.com@groups.io> wrote:

It is a common practice for companies to obtain patents that infringe on
other patents
that are owned by same company. The Patent Office allows this. Check the
cited references,
all but one are owned by NI. This practice forms a web of patents that
makes it hard to
design around a particular patent.

Part of the reason that their GPIB devices are so expensive is that they
contain patented
technology (now expired) as well as trade secrets. It is the trade
secrets that make their
products better. Trade secrets don't expire.

Specifically, think of all the GPIB instruments that have imperfect
implementations of the
GPIB standard. NI and HP have done the tedious work making these weird
instruments work
with their products. That is what all the open source and other third
party developers struggle
with. That large body of knowledge is the trade secret contained in these
devices and that is
why they can charge the prices that they do.

Pete.