Re: 11801 NVRAM

Chuck Harris

As a former 80X86 developer, I can say that actually it
is quite common for every subroutine to have its own segment.
It is called the large model. It makes code easy to locate
anywhere in the memory map.

PC's often used the small or medium models, which would require
the data and code, to be in the same segment (small), or the
data and code to be in two segments (medium).

Back in the day, I wrote a program called EXEHEX.EXE, which
allowed you to take PCDOS code tools and put the result in EPROMS.

It is still out there somewhere in the ether... Simtel20 had it.

-Chuck Harris

Leo Bodnar wrote:

CSA803A has tonnes of inbuilt telecom eye-diagram masks, this was its USP for telecom industry (who always had money.)

Each pixel on the display has a deep accumulation bucket that you can see in graded mode but only fully appreciate by downloading the raw screen data.
What you see: http://www.leobodnar.com/files/CSA803A-screenshot.png
What it actually is: http://www.leobodnar.com/files/CSA803-graded.png
Isn't this almost analogue? http://www.leobodnar.com/files/CSA803-graded2.png

I have recently replaced CRT in my HP89410A with an LCD display. Might try the same trick with CSA803A when I get free time and be bored.

The hardware on all 11800 boards is i80186 so a cunning enthusiast can easily hack and play with the code as they please. The only problem is that every subroutine seems to use its own segment which is very unusual for PC style software.

Leo