Re: Morning fun - working scope with no tubes?

Jamie Ostrowski

And lastly, before I go close out my day and drown in a sea of random
youtube videos for the evening, as cool as they are, they are just
oscilloscopes, and there's just a lot of other cool vintage gear out there
to attract buyers. When they start hitting $500, people say "well, that's
really cool but...look at all the other cool vintage gear I could get for
that."... So...that has a big impact as well. Ultimately, you can really
increase the price, but people are going to look for other things to
restore.

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 11:09 PM Jamie Ostrowski via Groups.Io
<jamie.ostrowski=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I did give that plan some more thought. I don't think it would work. Let's
say everyone increases the price of the oscilloscopes to protect them from
tube hoarders. A 535 oscilloscope now goes for, say, $400 in tattered but
complete working order.

Now what will happen is the scavengers will buy it for $400, rip their
tubes out, and then put the remains back on the market for $300. And it
will sell at $300 because if audio tubes are added, it will become worth
$400 again.

So really, nothing would change, except for the going price level.

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 10:31 PM Jamie Ostrowski via Groups.Io
<jamie.ostrowski=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Perhaps, but that solution is probably much easier to accept by folks who
have a couple hundred in their basement as compared to others just
beginning to collect.

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 10:27 PM Chuck Harris <cfharris@...>
wrote:

The easiest way is to pay real money, and to charge real money
for them.

Anything short of that is giving them to the tube harvesters.

-Chuck Harris

Jamie Ostrowski wrote:
I wish there was a way to find a way to keep the classic scopes out
of
the
hands of the tube harvesters. I know when it comes to sell any of my
classic equipment, I'd offer it up here on the Tekscopes list first
long
before I would ever list it on e-pay, just because I know that people
here
are enthusiastic about the classic scopes.

I have given some consideration to putting up some kind of free site
on
my
server just for collectors to advertise their scopes/plugins, but not
sure
how to keep the site from becoming a target for harvesters. Maybe I
could
do something like manually approve accounts to the site for people
who
have
demonstrated a sincere enthusiasm for the classics in one form or
another
in the past via tekscopes mail archives or something like that. Not
sure.

It wouldn't have to be a big/complicated site, nor generate a lot of
traffic. Just more for a circle of collectors to trade gear.

Ebay has become mostly ridiculous, in my opinion.