Re: Tek 576 Curve Tracer HV Transformer winding

ykochcal

There are practice cores in most old electronics, which are everywhere
around here if you look.

In particular Old PC power supplies typically have one of similar size but
the wrong orientation.

I am under the opinion that if you break the core it may still be useable.
They have by design a fair gap in the center leg.
If you break the core you will most lily break off one side of the E
Then you just need to break the other side to match (that happened to me
anyway).
Then glue back together with very slow epoxy using a machinist vise and
clamp to keep it square while squeezing it so the gap is as small as
possible.

I ended up with a gap in each leg that I thought was about less then 20% or
so of the gap in the center.

The core seemed to work well, but after awhile that attempt failed due to a
short. I think that I did not put in added space when the winding went from
two wires to one at the end of the coil which doubled the voltage difference
per layer.

Haven't tried to rewind after that attempt
John