-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Jamie Ostrowski
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2019 7:59 PM

Does anyone know if there are any photos of Alan Ainslie's Tek oscilloscope collection? I read he had around 400 of them. It would be a pity if a collection of that size were not photographed! I was unable to find anything.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 8:37 PM Dave Daniel <kc0wjn@...> wrote:

Hmmm.. I have (and had back in 2014) a working 310.

As cool as an MDO would be, and not that I want a 'scope that I can't
repair when (not if) it breaks, but there have to be hundreds of
owners of vintage Tektronix 'scopes out there that own working 'scopes
that are older than the 511 cited in the post, Europe or not.

I don't recall hearing of this "contest". It is weird that it did not
come to light while it was in progress. Does anyone have any
information about the the contest itself?

DaveD

On 9/14/2019 6:43 PM, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:
Craig Sawyers found this announcement from 2014 by accident. It was
never mentioned on TekScopes prior to today.
Alan is a member of TekScopes and his prize was an MDO4000 Series
Mixed
Domain Oscilloscope worth €20,700.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

---
Tektronix Announces Winner of Europe’s Oldest Working Oscilloscope
Contest
Oldest Working Tektronix Oscilloscope, Wins the Newest

BRACKNELL, UK - May 2014 - Tektronix, a leading manufacturer of
oscilloscopes, announced the winner of their competition to find the
oldest working oscilloscope in Europe - the winner, chosen from 240
entries, was Alan Ainslie, from Farnham in the UK, with his Model
511AD manufactured in 1951. He won an MDO4000 Series Mixed Domain
Oscilloscope worth €20,700, one of the newest oscilloscopes in the Tektronix portfolio.

Alan is a lifelong user and enthusiastic collector of Tektronix
oscilloscopes, and currently numbers around 400 in his collection,
believed to be the largest outside the USA. "The great thing about
Tektronix", he said, "is their solid heritage and their passion for
what they do, they have always been head and shoulders in advance of
everyone else." Alan is currently building a museum to house his
collection, and the 511AD will take pride of place.

In his spare time, Alan is also involved in teaching and helping
students to understand the basics of engineering, he cited Tektronix
primers and product manuals as leading sources of information and
context to help the students.

"I'm delighted to have won the MDO4000, not just because I'm an avid
fan
and collector of Tektronix oscilloscopes, but also because it will
help in my current job which involves streaming audio over IP,
particularly when used with the Ethernet, PCI and USB.2 modules."

Mikael Näsström, Tektronix EMEA Marketing Director, presented Mr.
Ainslie with his prize. He commented, "We've come a long way since the
511AD. After sixty-five years and over 700 patents, we're proud that
we are still leading the market in technology, innovation and great products."

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF
TekScopes Moderator