Re: From 2014: Tektronix Announces Winner of Europe’s Oldest Working Oscilloscope Contest

Jamie Ostrowski

Does anyone know if there are any photos of Alan Ainslie's Tek oscilloscope
collection? I read he had around 400 of them. It would be a pity if a
collection of that size were not photographed! I was unable to find
anything.

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 8:37 PM Dave Daniel <kc0wjn@...> wrote:

Hmmm.. I have (and had back in 2014) a working 310.

As cool as an MDO would be, and not that I want a 'scope that I can't
repair when (not if) it breaks, but there have to be hundreds of owners
of vintage Tektronix 'scopes out there that own working 'scopes that are
older than the 511 cited in the post, Europe or not.

I don't recall hearing of this "contest". It is weird that it did not
come to light while it was in progress. Does anyone have any information
about the the contest itself?

DaveD

On 9/14/2019 6:43 PM, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:
Craig Sawyers found this announcement from 2014 by accident. It was
never mentioned on TekScopes prior to today.
Alan is a member of TekScopes and his prize was an MDO4000 Series Mixed
Domain Oscilloscope worth €20,700.

Dennis Tillman W7PF

---
Tektronix Announces Winner of Europe’s Oldest Working Oscilloscope
Contest
Oldest Working Tektronix Oscilloscope, Wins the Newest

BRACKNELL, UK - May 2014 - Tektronix, a leading manufacturer of
oscilloscopes, announced the winner of their competition to find the oldest
working oscilloscope in Europe - the winner, chosen from 240 entries, was
Alan Ainslie, from Farnham in the UK, with his Model 511AD manufactured in
1951. He won an MDO4000 Series Mixed Domain Oscilloscope worth €20,700, one
of the newest oscilloscopes in the Tektronix portfolio.

Alan is a lifelong user and enthusiastic collector of Tektronix
oscilloscopes, and currently numbers around 400 in his collection, believed
to be the largest outside the USA. "The great thing about Tektronix", he
said, "is their solid heritage and their passion for what they do, they
have always been head and shoulders in advance of everyone else." Alan is
currently building a museum to house his collection, and the 511AD will
take pride of place.

In his spare time, Alan is also involved in teaching and helping
students to understand the basics of engineering, he cited Tektronix
primers and product manuals as leading sources of information and context
to help the students.

"I'm delighted to have won the MDO4000, not just because I'm an avid fan
and collector of Tektronix oscilloscopes, but also because it will help in
my current job which involves streaming audio over IP, particularly when
used with the Ethernet, PCI and USB.2 modules."

Mikael Näsström, Tektronix EMEA Marketing Director, presented Mr.
Ainslie with his prize. He commented, "We've come a long way since the
511AD. After sixty-five years and over 700 patents, we're proud that we are
still leading the market in technology, innovation and great products."