Re: 7000 series carrying handles - how strong are they?

Dave Seiter

I've had 2 500 series handles break on me- one should have been obvious, it was rusted badly and only the metal was left, but the other one still had remnants of it's covering on it but was also rusted badly, maybe even worse than the first one.  The inside of the second scope also showed a lot of corrosion on the aluminum and steel parts.  My guess was that it spent a lot of time near the ocean in Santa Cruz (where I picked it up). Both didn't fall far, but were pretty used up anyway- only the good parts remain...somewhere.
-Dave

On Tuesday, August 20, 2019, 01:42:43 AM PDT, Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7PF> wrote:

Ni Nenad,
Not silly. I have been carrying 7000 series scopes around for almost 50 years and I have never given the handle a second thought because I have removed so many of them from instruments I have scrapped. Every one of them is as solid as the day it was made. This applies to the outer plastic cover, the inner spring steel, the way they are attached to the instrument, and the way the rigid aluminum chassis handles all that weight. It is beautiful integration of all those parts into a very sophisticated mechanical design.

Even with the 500 series scopes, which weighed much more, and had handles that were covered in leather, I never saw a handle break.  The leather might dry out and crumble in some climates but the steel hidden inside was still more than strong enough to continue doing its job of making it possible to safely lift a scope (provided you had a couple of helpers with strong backs to provide assistance).

Dennis Tillman W7PF

-----Original Message-----
From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Nenad Filipovic
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2019 2:41 AM

Well I suppose this sounds silly, but I just can't get over it. This thin metal sheet inside the handle is surely tough, high tensile strength steel, but somehow subjectively it doesn't nearly impress as the rugged 465 handle, for example. In my head thin metal sheets tear and crack. Every
7000 handle end I inspected showed some minor bending around the hole where it pulls against the main screw.

So my question is, has anyone ever had that handle crack or snap? 7000s are no longer costly lab instruments handled with utmost care, today we use them in our homes, shops... They get transported probably a lot more frequently than they were intended to, possibly against some rules which were in power back then, now forgotten or never even known. Should the instrument be supported by your other hand from below?

I don't use my 7104 often, but when I do I need to carry and lift it on the table. And every time I get shivers in my feet. Some reassurance would help.

Best Regards,
Nenad F.

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF