Re: 7000 series carrying handles - how strong are they?

Dave Seiter

I was going to say something similar; btw, I recently came across a polymer based material that is both magnetic and an insulator. Not sure how that was accomplished, maybe the iron particles where pre-insulated?

On Aug 18, 2019, at 3:38 PM, Bruce Griffiths <bruce.griffiths@...> wrote:

Not quite correct.
austenitic stainless (300 series) is non magnetic.
Martensitic (eg 422, 440 and 17-4PH etc) and ferritic grades are magnetic.
Hardened martensitic stainless is stronger than austenitic stainless.

Bruce
On 19 August 2019 at 10:21 "Greg Muir via Groups.Io" <big_sky_explorer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Not having a 7K handy at the time, I am aware that Tek used to frequently use stainless steel in handles. It has reasonably good tensile strength. The TM500 power modules seem to have some sort of alloy embedded in their handles. The simple way to test for stainless is to bring a magnet near it. If no attraction it is stainless.

HP also used stainless in many of their earlier handles as well. But I, too also am conscious of what could possibly happen when lifting these beasts but have never had a "surprise" episode as well.

The best recommendation is to keep your feet away from being under the item you are lifting.

Greg