Re: oh yeah?

Jim Ford

Ha, I figured somebody in the group would show up Snapdiode sooner or later!Dennis, it looks like the S-42 has a bit of reflections inside it.  The OIG-502 uses an ingenious scheme to avoid generating them at the source; the laser diode is biased such that any current reflections on its input due to imperfections in the termination are below the LD threshold current.  LD physics is such that the current reflections have no effeffect on the optical output.  Voila, reflection-free optical impulses!  I assume a brilliant engineer at Tek came up with that; correct me if I'm wrong.  I had one back in the mid 1990's at Lockheed Aircraft Service Co., housed in a TM502 mainframe (the TM501 was unavailable at the time, IIRC).Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7PF> Date: 8/11/19 12:44 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] oh yeah? Hi Snapdiode,For the past month and a half I haven't had a moment to myself. The constant pressure has been no fun at all.  That all changed today when I saw your post. Thank you.I put a few pictures of the sampling heads and other related stuff I have up on TekScopes in the photo section. There is also a nice screen shot of the response of an S-42 (like yours) if you connect it to an OIG-502 Optical Impulse Generator.The pictures are at: https://groups.io/g/TekScopes/album?id=94144Dennis Tillman W7PF-----Original Message-----Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2019 9:11 PMSubject: Re: [TekScopes] oh yeah?Pretty sure I'm the only one with four 1S2s, a 1L30, and a Type O on my street!Maybe I'm just the prince of sampling heads. Come on, a S-42? How cool is that? :) It fits between my S-1, S-2, S-3, S-4, S-5, S-6 and just before my S-52.-- Dennis Tillman W7PFTekScopes Moderator