Re: 5xx 'Scopes

@0culus

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 11:52 AM, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:

Hi Sean,

The 547 is a beautiful scope and it marked the transition to semiconductors at
Tek. It is easily my favorite in the 500 series. But there is another scope to
consider.

Have you considered the 545B? In all of Tek's history only two scope models
have been so successful they reached the "B" phase. This meant the scope was
so successful in its original design concept that Tek saw the benefit of
refreshing the design for a variety of reasons. That resulted in the 545A.
Sales of the 545A continued to be strong enough to support another round of
improvements which resulted in the 545B. The other scope that had the same
success was the 7623/7623A/7623B. Unfortunately Tek decided to terminate the
entire 7000 series about a year after the 7623B was released so they are hard
to find.

Unfortunately I think you will have a very hard time finding ANY 500 series
scopes. It has been several years since I saw one show up at a ham fest / swap
meet. I don't even see them on Craigs List. In fact all I do see on Craigs
List are portable scopes. Ebay might be a better place to look for a 500
series scope. You will want to only be looking for sellers that are local or
within travel distance from where you are so you can pick the scope up.
Shipping it would be dangerous due to all the damage to the CRT that might
happen and shipping will cost more than you will pay for the scope.

Dennis Tillman W7PF
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the pointers. I hadn't looked at the 545B, but it does look like an interesting model. It seems that the 545B and the 547 were released almost concurrently.

I hold out hope that there likely are more than a few people around here who still have 500 series scopes due to the proximity of national laboratories and government surplus auctions.

Sean