From: ken chalfant <kpchalfant@...>
Date: 06/22/2019 1:20 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Dumont knock off of Tek

Greetings,

I’m not sure it is fair to call a Dumont scope a Tek knock-off.

Allen B. Dumont opened his company in the 1930’s and was producing an oscilloscope around 1943.

Tektronix was founded in 1946.

HP, founded in 1939 produced its first scope, the HP-130A, on or about 1956.

Initially Dumont was probably the leader in oscilloscope technology for a few years, but Tektronix quickly took the lead.

The competition between Tek and HP was good for the industry in general and Tek and HP specifically.  Dumont was unable to keep pace.  Perhaps because Mr. Dumont was not as open to new ideas as was Tektronix and Hewlett Packard leaders.

I believe Dumont was eventually acquired by Fairchild.  I actually owned a dual beam, four channel Fairchild/Dumont scope.  I also owned a number of other Dumont scopes.  They really weren’t knock-offs.

Interestingly, a company named Lavoie made “exact” (well sort-of) Tek knock-offs of the 53x and maybe the 54x scopes.  The story I heard told that this opportunity came about because the military was pressured to open bid for scopes meeting the Tektronix specifications.  I have used some Lavoie scopes a long time ago.  From the outside they looked almost exactly like the Tek scope they copied, but the knobs were different.  However, they were not the same level of quality construction on the inside as the Tek scopes.

That’s my two cents, FWIW.

Regards,

Ken

On 21Jun, 2019, at 8:54 PM, Dave Seiter <d.seiter@...> wrote:

Funny how things come in groups; I've never seen a transistorized Dumont scope in the flesh, but I literally stumbled on one this morning at an estate sale.  An R1062.  I would have never given it a second look, except for this post.  It was clean, undamaged, and the guy offered it to me for $5....  After digging up the proper HP power cord, I found out that it actually works, so I'm going to donate it to my buddy until I get the 7603 working.
Anyone ever seen a service manual or schematics for the 1062?  I took a quick look at the interior, and I don't remember any of the pots being labeled.   The trace rotation and horizontal width need help.
The panel layout could have been greatly improved- the horizontal centering is no where near the other horizontal controls, the delayed trigger controls are prominent while the normal trigger is almost hidden, and it took me forever to find the trigger source selector.  That's what you get when playing with a rackmount scope on a tabletop!
-Dave
    On Thursday, June 20, 2019, 6:06:24 PM PDT, Bill Higdon via Groups.Io <willard561=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I found this on the Seattle Craigslist
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fseattle.craigslist.org%2Foly%2Fele%2Fd%2Folympia-dumont-766-series-oscilloscope%2F6913548974.html&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C876efc5d49cb441305b208d6f6bce83b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636967688537380724&amp;sdata=ZIv42ESyeEsQzekSauGT9UL28m0giBBp77fSyuKQdTk%3D&amp;reserved=0
Bill