Re: Dumont knock off of Tek

Richard Solomon <dickw1ksz@...>

From what I was told back in the 60's,
it was a Marketing decision.

Dumont believed there was no market
for high frequency scopes so they
concentrated on low frequency (500 Kc
max) high sensitivity (microvolts in some
cases) scopes.

Tektronix held the opposite belief (high
frequency).

We all know who made the right decision.

73, Dick, W1KSZ

On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 11:20 AM ken chalfant <kpchalfant@msn.com> wrote:

Greetings,

I’m not sure it is fair to call a Dumont scope a Tek knock-off.

Allen B. Dumont opened his company in the 1930’s and was producing an
oscilloscope around 1943.

Tektronix was founded in 1946.

HP, founded in 1939 produced its first scope, the HP-130A, on or about
1956.

Initially Dumont was probably the leader in oscilloscope technology for a
few years, but Tektronix quickly took the lead.

The competition between Tek and HP was good for the industry in general
and Tek and HP specifically. Dumont was unable to keep pace. Perhaps
because Mr. Dumont was not as open to new ideas as was Tektronix and
Hewlett Packard leaders.

I believe Dumont was eventually acquired by Fairchild. I actually owned a
dual beam, four channel Fairchild/Dumont scope. I also owned a number of
other Dumont scopes. They really weren’t knock-offs.

Interestingly, a company named Lavoie made “exact” (well sort-of) Tek
knock-offs of the 53x and maybe the 54x scopes. The story I heard told
that this opportunity came about because the military was pressured to open
bid for scopes meeting the Tektronix specifications. I have used some
Lavoie scopes a long time ago. From the outside they looked almost exactly
like the Tek scope they copied, but the knobs were different. However,
they were not the same level of quality construction on the inside as the
Tek scopes.

That’s my two cents, FWIW.

Regards,

Ken

On 21Jun, 2019, at 8:54 PM, Dave Seiter <d.seiter@att.net> wrote:

Funny how things come in groups; I've never seen a transistorized Dumont
scope in the flesh, but I literally stumbled on one this morning at an
estate sale. An R1062. I would have never given it a second look, except
for this post. It was clean, undamaged, and the guy offered it to me for
$5.... After digging up the proper HP power cord, I found out that it
actually works, so I'm going to donate it to my buddy until I get the 7603
working.
Anyone ever seen a service manual or schematics for the 1062? I took a
quick look at the interior, and I don't remember any of the pots being
labeled. The trace rotation and horizontal width need help.
The panel layout could have been greatly improved- the horizontal
centering is no where near the other horizontal controls, the delayed
trigger controls are prominent while the normal trigger is almost hidden,
and it took me forever to find the trigger source selector. That's what
you get when playing with a rackmount scope on a tabletop!
-Dave
On Thursday, June 20, 2019, 6:06:24 PM PDT, Bill Higdon via Groups.Io
<willard561=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I found this on the Seattle Craigslist
https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fseattle.craigslist.org%2Foly%2Fele%2Fd%2Folympia-dumont-766-series-oscilloscope%2F6913548974.html&;amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C876efc5d49cb441305b208d6f6bce83b%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636967688537380724&amp;sdata=ZIv42ESyeEsQzekSauGT9UL28m0giBBp77fSyuKQdTk%3D&amp;reserved=0
Bill