From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Robert Bosworth
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2019 14:36
To: TekScopes@groups io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] EZ Test for 4041

It is hard for me to understand why Tektronix did not include a small boot ROM to get the instrument up and running. Why boot from mag tape which is notorious for weak signals after a few years of sitting around?

There are two things that I still need for my 4041. I need a 160K memory card, and the ROM04. If you have either of these, I am interested to purchase them.
Gary B.

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 7:22 PM <s.r.bell@snap.net.nz> wrote:

Dave,

I have a similar issue with my 4041. I have been attempting to reverse
engineer the tape controller with a view to making up a tape emulator
based on an SD card. However, due to lack of time and it being a
difficult circuit to decipher, I haven’t made much progress on this.

In the interim I have been experimenting using a terminal emulator,
via a custom adapter to convert RS232 to the keyboard port logic
levels, to enter suitable commands to transfer the console port to the
rear panel RS232 port. On this port I connect a PC terminal emulator
and can use the PC to edit, upload and save programs. At the moment
this is a tedious process as I have to enter the initial commands into
the terminal emulator by hand but I have been thinking of programming
up a little micro controller to fit inside the LEMO plug and
automatically squirt the requisite commands into the keyboard port
every time the 4041 is powered up. Again, due to lack of time, I haven’t made any progress on this.

I see from your signature that you are a Kiwi. I am located in
Christchurch. Perhaps we could get together and collaborate to make
these 4041s usable again.

Stephen

--
Gary Robert Bosworth