Re: Clock error on TDS3034

Harvey White

There are LED replacement strips available for many CCFL tubes, but need to be ordered on a specific display number, of course. You can make an LED strip using surface mount LEDS, etc.  Those do have some point source problems, but a wide dispersion angle LED may work.

Harvey

On 5/31/2019 6:58 AM, David Kuhn wrote:
" You may have read in my recent post that I have successfully dug out the
empty battery and connected another one so my quest is over. "

Could you email pics of that, or publish them here? I would like to know,
where in that chip the battery is. I saved my old chip and had intended
to "dig" in to it at some time. Then what, find a 2032 battery socket
somewhere, or rob one off an old mother board and glue that socket to the
top of the chip? There may be some space issues inside the scope where to
put that socket on the chip, or locate it out of the way and run wires.

The original series of the TDS3032 and TDS3034 are still great scopes (I
used to have a 3034 and a 3054 at work before GE Closed us down and moved
the plant overseas). Now, I own two TDS3032s. I have automatic software
that I wrote that uses the scopes via GPIB as part of a test system for
instruments that I work on. I replaced one of the backlight tubes in my
one TDS3032 to brighten up the display. The display is the same one used
in an instrument I work on. I had located a source of the backlight tubes,
but that has dried up now. I have a supply to use for my customer's
instruments, but don't know if I could find them anymore. I had the NEC
part number for those tubes, but may not be able to find it anymore.
Anyway, I think they are super scopes. They have a great digitization rate
for their time. They have features some new scopes can not offer. Here's
a big one: Set the Mid-Reference points for the pulse width measurements.
The TDS3000 series is the only one I have seen that has that feature. You
can get a TDS3032 for $1500, or less. New the TDS3032C is somewhere around
$10K?!! It has a USB socket and maybe able to interface via network, but
other than that, it is still basically the same as far as I can tell.

Dave

Dave

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 10:37 AM Raymond Domp Frank <@Raymond>
wrote:

Thanks David K. for your info. The company that you linked to seems to
have 1 (!) clock/ram module left.
You may have read in my recent post that I have successfully dug out the
empty battery and connected another one so my quest is over.

Raymond