Re: DC voltage on a DC coupled spectrum analyzer

Jim Ford

Not sure why the 100 Hz low end, but I  did take my 8566A down that low a couple months ago just to see what it would do.   Lots of 1/f noise!  I would use my Stanford Research Systems SR780 FFT analyzer if I were looking at signals in the audio range.Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: DW <wilson2115@outlook.com> Date: 5/28/19 10:14 AM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] DC voltage on a DC coupled spectrum analyzer Here is a thought, for example a HP 8566 which can go down to 100 Hz. I assume they choose that number as that is the lowest it can go for certified performance, but I wonder if they choose that number could also be the minimum safe frequency range. For example if you go below the 100 Hz minimum to say 60 or 30 Hz, or maybe even 10 Hz, I wonder if that presents a hazard to the mixer as there is a longer but brief duration of positive and negative DC without a DC blocking capacitor that could cause eventual damage.