Re: Packaging 7854 scope for shipment?

David Holland

As a somewhat off topic example of how *not* to pack....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PscEindwAHv71JqH9

Step 1) Do not go to the local U-HAUL place, and pick up a short wardrobe box.
Step 2) Do not fill 1/2 way with peanuts.
Step 3) Do not place large heavy device on peanuts.
Step 4) Do not fill remainder with peanuts.
Step 5) Do not ship in this condition.

Its a RM567. Surprisingly it appears to have survived the journey
(AZ to OH - via Fedex)

To keep it OT: Agreed, the foam/foam in place & double boxing are the
general recommended methods for shipping large heavy boxes. That
being said, I can see where that might be somewhat difficult to do
with a 7854, and is starting to sound like freight.

FWIW, I've also heard (via the antique radio guys) that Greyhound is
not a bad way to ship large heavy things and they may not receive as
much abuse as they would via the regular shippers.

David

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 6:16 PM John Griessen <john@...> wrote:

On 5/25/19 10:19 PM, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:
Have you eve received anything that was packed with "Foam in Place". It is simple and quite robust.
That foam is really a good density and yieldingness, and carves easily. I reuse big chunks of it to pack things
by carving it with a long serrated knife, (usually for bread).