Re: OT: App that keeps track of "Or Best Offer" auctions on eBay to tell you what a seller will accept.

Dave Emery

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 02:42:38PM -0700, Kevin Oconnor wrote:

I should have been clearer. What I meant was that, as a competitor
trying to figure out what an item sold for and to price the same or
similar item, past fixed price sales are misleading. An item may
routinely sell for 25% of the fixed price listing through offers and you
will never know that ( the opaque part). The discount seller can
suppress competition this way.
While I hate to let a cat out of the bag, if you are willing to
pay for it (and it does cost a monthly fee) Terapeak (now an Ebay
subsidiary) DOES provide actual selling price information for BIN and
OBO sales. You CAN find out what something really sold for. And the
discounts are usually significant - but not always.

Ebay (in recent years) has decided not to list this info in
completed/sold item listings found by normal Ebay searches (for most
kinds of sales) beyond the official BIN price - but Terapeak has always
had it available along with how many items actually sold.

Mostly this is oriented toward sellers, but a savvy buyer can
also benefit.

--
Dave Emery N1PRE/AE, die@... DIE Consulting, Weston, Mass 02493
'For Rent' sign still vainly flapping outside on the weed encrusted pole - in