Re: 7904 excessive shadow/flare

unclebanjoman

O.K.! Thanks to everyone for the comprehensive answers, very instructive to me!

Undoubtedly the driving circuits of the 7904 and 7804 CRTs are completely different and this could partly explain the different behavior regarding the halo / flare effect.
Over time I will get used to the remarkable brilliance of my new 7904 (and his associated halo /flares) which, moreover, is really in excellent condition and after careful calibration it matches perfectly the manual's specifications.

My 7904 has serial number B269718; reading the manufacture date of a pair of TI SNxxxx ICs, it should be from 1979.

If another 7904 to be repaired happens to me, I will be curious to observe the halo / flare effect, whether it is identical or not. I will let you know if the case.

Thanks again,
Max