Re: 7904 excessive shadow/flare

unclebanjoman

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 02:42 PM, Chuck Harris wrote:

I know that, but my 7904's beat my 7854 in the flare department
by easily double. They also have much brighter maximum intensity
than does the 7854.

I haven't explored the differences, but the 7904's all have a worse
time than *any* other scope I have ever seen.
O.K. indeed the artifact is two times more pronounced with my 7904 with respect to my 7854 (grossly speaking).
The question that arise is: why?
Both the two models share the same tube type.
The post acceleration voltage is the same (21 kV).
Catode voltage is the same.(I presume).

If this is due to the dome mesh, where is it located on the diagram?
is there a regulation that affects it?
On the 7904 scheme I also see an adjustment for the preset shield volt (I adjusted as per manual): what's the use?

Max