Re: Procedure to measure rf watts

@0culus

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 04:00 PM, Randy.AB9GO wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have a need to check the calibration on some low power watt meters (10 watts
or less, 21 megahertz or less) and was wondering if anybody had a favorite
procedure using their scope to measure peak-to-peak rf voltage without letting
out the magic smoke. My thought is to use a t connector, hook one side to the
transmitter, one side to a dummy load and then the center connector straight
to the 10X oscilloscope probe. Any other precautions I should take?

Thank you,
Randy.
I will say above anything else, 10W is way too much power to be putting into most test equipment, especially spectrum analyzers. You *will* burn up something in the frontend and then you'll be sad. You want something like an RF sampling tee that will couple a much smaller version of your TX signal into your instrument.

Sean