Re: OT: App that keeps track of "Or Best Offer" auctions on eBay to tell you what a seller will accept.

tekscopegroup@...

Back a few years before ebay started to obfuscate all the information on bidders and sellers an app like that would still have been possible to work on the public information that was available on any ebay member. Back then I was even doing myself some manual background checks on other bidders I was competing with for an item. I used to check on their previous bids history what items they won/lost etc to try and find patterns, and also how they liked to send in their highest bid (some people like to send even amounts, others like weird patterns, like $12.34 or $111.11 and so on) to try to anticipate their next maximum bid. Also back then if you managed to get in your bid in the last 10-15 seconds before the end you usually won if your bid was high enough, and I was quite successful (inc synchronizing the PC clock with ebay clock, make sure to be freshly logged in, etc). I even had friends asking me to snag something of ebay for them. But nowadays they even automated sniping and sometimes you get beaten by a bid sent 1-2 seconds before the auction ends. Anyway gathering relevant information on other bidders or sellers is now for the most part no longer possible as it used to be. So unless this app has a way to sneak into ebay's servers and bypass whatever security they have in place to protect their databases I don't see how an app like that is still possible. Unless someone found a backdoor...