Re: OT: I/V curve tracing made easy with Python and PyVISA

Tony Fleming

Thank you Albert for your nice reply!
Yes, I have options 1,9,10+GPIB on my 2465 DMS scope. I also have DMM
option on top of the scope!
I purchased couple weeks ago the P6407 stuff, but it has no manual or any
instructions - I must find that information and print it....
I'm not planing to use it for anything serious, just to demo the Tektronix
scope and the "old technology", when I do shows or visit clubs/libraries....
Many people find older stuff interesting and the kids in the schools do not
learn almost any history in electronics!
I also have couple older scopes, like Simpson Model 466 - Handiscope, not
oscilloscope.... but it is interesting to see peoples reaction when they
see it in person.
One of my dream was to have Tektronix and some kind of "old scope" that is
as old as I'm now! ha ha ha
About Arduino - it is lots of fun and now we are using Python also and or
ESP8266 or ESP32 - for few bucks you have input-output + sensors or Wi-Fi
.... You should have your son demo stuff for you!
I wish I had a dad like you, who is in electronics and "plugged in".... but
I had Mr. Helebrand who was like the perfect dad but teach me electronics!
(Back in early 70's)
Anyway, if you, or anyone else, find the software and instructions+manuals
.... I appreciate your input and help guys/gals!
Thank you all!

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 3:02 PM Albert Otten <aodiversen@...> wrote:

Hi Tony,

Your 2465 doesn't have RS232, so you need a GPIB connection. Do you have
such already (NI GPIB-USB-HS, Prologix,...)? I have the NI adapter. Or are
you considering to use an Arduino (mentioned in your 2465 topic) for this?
I know nothing of Arduinos (except that my son is married with these tiny
things).
Tektronix had it's own version of NI-VISA, TekVISA, and a program
Wavestar. These could be downloaded for free I think for Windows. I tried
this once without much success and deleted it right away: together with NI
drivers a HUGE amount of software! I used Linux ever since with the
linux-gpib driver package. I don't know if the GPIB programs by Hakan (
http://www.hakanh.com/dl/index.htm) together with drivers can serve you.
In my opinion PiVISA is not of much interest for you. VISA is intended for
equipment that understands VISA commands. So you have to lookup in the
Opt.10 manual which commands are recognized by the 2465 and send these
commands exactly as shown in the manual. I have the same situation with my
7854 and CSAs.
At this moment I don't remember for sure whether drivers are still needed
if the Pivisa-py package is used, but I think the are. If not then PiVISA
is attractive. (Magnus knows?)
An alternative to PiVISA is to use the python package gpib_ctypes in
combination with the Linux linux-gpib package or the (Linux, Windows) NI
drivers.
The python script could look like this (note, I didn't test this since
some time, I hope I removed errors):

#!/usr/bin/python3

# test gpib connection with the CSA803
from gpib_ctypes import gpib
# in my case, the CSA was set address to 1
csa=gpib.dev(0,1) # get device handle
print("device handle",csa) # was 17
print("status serial poll",gpib.serial_poll(csa))
# serial poll seems needed as first command as response to SRQ request
issued by CSA at startup

gpib.write(csa,b'ID?') # no \r\n needed, EOI takes care of this
# in interactive mode the command also receives and prints the
status byte, 8448.
result=gpib.read(csa,1000) # read ID and store in result
print(result)

# another example
gpib.write(csa,b'uptime?')
print(gpib.read(csa,1000)) # result immediately shown now
gpib.close(csa)

The DMM Opt.1 recognizes some additional GPIB commands.

Pffff,
Albert

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 06:24 PM, Tony Fleming wrote:

Magnus, and most or all of you are in a "stratosphere" compared to me,
who
is trying to learn my Tektronix 2465 DMS! But I also have P6407 and I
would
like to learn how to use it.
Can anyone out there help me with something simple I can try to connect
it?
I never have anything like this before, so use very simple terms what
all I
need please.
You all were very helpful with my scope, when it was sick and now it
works,
thanks to you all. I found this group to be the most helpful group out
there!
Thank you very much.
Tony