Re: OT: I/V curve tracing made easy with Python and PyVISA

Gary Robert Bosworth

Magnus:
Thanx for the info. I learn something new every day.
Gary

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 8:28 AM magnustoelle via Groups.Io <magnustoelle=
yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Good Day to the group,

this is completely off-topic, but as several of you seemed always
interested in curve-tracing applications, let me share my excitement
with you...

I know that I am very late into this, but allow me to say that I have
found the use of the Python scripting language in combination with
libraries & packages such as PyVISA very powerful.
To cut a long story short: I was curious to see, if I can replace my NI
LabView projects with something simpler, less costly and more portable
between Operating Systems such as Windows, Linux etc. And after playing
with Python for a few days, it seems that Python offers such an
alternative.
I still like how easy it is to generate appealing GUIs with LabView, but
even when using hierarchical designs, LabView "code" can be hard to read
and comprehend - just try to decipher your own VIs after a few months!

I have used PyVISA https://pyvisa.readthedocs.io/en/master/ for easy
communication with T&M equipment and libraries such as mathlibplot
https://matplotlib.org/ for plotting and numpy https://www.numpy.org/
for a few math operations. The documentation and tools come for free,
and there are tons and tons of on-line training courses on Python as
well as code examples etc. which are available at 0 costs.

Curve-tracing application:
I have used a GRUNDIG/digimess PN300 programmable power supply & a
common NI USB-GPIB adapter; then created some simple Python-scripts
which allow the I/V-curve tracing of two-terminal devices such as diodes
and of three-terminal devices such as transistors. For the latter,
output A from the power supply provided the Collector-Emitter sweep
voltage, and output B and a 22kOhm resistor provided the base current
sweep.

I have never really had any formal education in programming/coding, but
I have found it fairly easy to create the attached PNG diagram, to save
the current and voltage data to a local file for post-processing with MS
Excel etc.

While this is nothing to "write home about" - my heartful recommendation
is: If you have the interest and leisure, give Python and a stab into
PyVISA a try!

I am including my simple Python code below . I am sure there are many
things which could be improved - however, please let's do not discuss
here...

Cheers,

Magnus

P.S. I am aware that the GRUNDIG PN300 power supply is not a precision
instrument, but I have chosen it for simplicity - upgrading to precision
DMMs and more precise current/voltage sources and the like would be easy.

# Setup Digimess/GRUNDIG PN300 power supply
# Testing three-terminal electronic devices such as transistors
# Set-up for independent operation, Voltage and Currents for output A
and readback Current measurements
# Set-up Voltage and Currents for output B and readback Current
measurements and turn off outputs
# Hardware setup: Connect emitter to common GND, collector to pos.
terminal output A, connect base to output B using a 22k series resistor
for base currents.
# Magnus Tölle, last edit: 13th May 2019
# Setup: Easyinstall from
https://pypi.org/project/setuptools/0.6c11/#files first, and
"easyinstall pip" second
# Install Python, pip, matplotlib, numpy, pandas, seaborn and NI VISA
from ni.com