Re: Calibration and full checkout needed - Tek 7000 series

Harvey White

On Wed, 1 May 2019 21:10:39 -0500, you wrote:

Since I'm new to Tektronix 2465 DMS with DMM, what "signal standardizer"
model number would I need?
DC voltage standard (PG506 will work, set it on DC for the DMM). works
for the scope too.

Does anyone have one and what should I look for in a used unit?
good cosmetics, good reports on the seller, and an idea of what you'd
have to replace if things were bad.

Are they mostly good or is there some parts that make them less reliable?
Ebay and local and you takes your chances....

Where do you buy your parts and who is reliable to buy from for Tektronix?
Major distributors (Mouser, Digikey, Arrow, etc) for standard parts.

Sphere and Qservice are most reliable, buying another with a different
problem is often quite useful.

I do have Aktakom Function Signal Generator, 50MHz - 2 channels. Is that
good enough?
For waveforms, maybe. (linearity).

How do you measure the voltages, and the frequencies (vertical and
horizontal calibration)?

Function generator may not be enough, depending on how serious you
want to get.

Harvey

Thank you guys, you have helped me a lot!
Tony

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 9:03 PM Harvey White <madyn@dragonworks.info> wrote:

On Wed, 1 May 2019 18:13:05 -0400, you wrote:

With four 7000 series scopes in my lab, I've been patiently waiting for
a 067-0587-00,01, or 02 signal standardizer for about a year now and I
finally grabbed one today. They've been going for pretty big money (worth
more than the scope itself) but I managed to snag it for $77 (with
shipping) off of eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tektronix-067-0587-01-signal-standardizer-calibration-fixture-for-7000-serie/312578936230

My one concern of course is that it works and doesn't need some form of
rehabilitation.

I will soon find out.

Most of mine worked. The digital circuitry, as I remember it, is
relatively simple. Just checked the listing. Looks clean from here.

Good luck.

Harvey

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 11:13 AM Harvey White <madyn@dragonworks.info>
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 12:47:26 -0700, you wrote:

Hi All,

I need one, good working scope to get started on repairing the other 30
or so scopes around here. I have a multitude of Tek 7000 frames to
choose
from but I think the 7904 (or 7904A) is a good place to start. Once
that's
working + cal'ed I can at least troubleshoot and maybe repair the
others.

Where can I get one professionally calibrated in the greater Detroit
area? I can drive a fair distance, but I'm scared to ship. I've had
two
7934's, a 7834, and a 7704A crushed in separate shipping mishaps.

Can't help you there, I'm in the southeast. However...

Also...which plug ins are recommended to cal for building my golden
scope? I have a collection...

The typical plugins for a 7904 (and that's a good choice, IMHO) are at
least one if not two 7A26, and a 7B92A (which I happen to like). If
you want the flexibility of two sweep plugins, the 7B80 and 7B85 will
do. If you have a 7103/4 and a 7B10 and 7B15, you could use them but
the sweep is not calibrated at the highest frequencies, but those
could be moved over to the 7103/4 when needed.

For things you'd want:

067-0587-01 signal standardizer. The 01 is intended for 500 mhz
scopes, the 00 is for lower bandwidth, and the 02 is for the 1GHz
bandwidth scopes. Needed to keep the mainframes all agreeing with
each other as well as provides some nice linearity and gain signals.
You could use the 00, but it wouldn't allow you to check out the
frequency response to the limit of the scope's bandwidth for higher
bandwidth scopes.

PG506/TG501 SG503/SG504 TM500 plugins that provide calibration
signals for vertical and timebase checking, as well as frequency
response. Those will do any scope. The signal standardizer is
specifically for 7000 series mainframes.

You could also go with a CG501 (TM500) or a CG5001 (TM5000) module
with the appropriate frame. Note that the CG series may need a
specific head to supply the right signals. Those heads may be
difficult to find.

My favorite (depending) setup in a 7904 is a 7A26 (or 7A24 if I need
more bandwidth and can tolerate a 50 ohm input plugin), a 7D12 with an
M2 (sampling) module, a 7D15 counter, and a 7B92A sweep.

Harvey