From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of
David Kuhn
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2019 7:18 AM
To: TekScopes@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Compressed air

I plumb the shop with a compressed air (and a compressor in the garage).
I use a small dryer in-line with the spray naucial (sp).

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 10:13 AM Caveman <digcam1@roadrunner.com> wrote:

Photographer as well as a repair tech here, and I say do not shake
cans of commercially available compressed air used for blowing dust
away. They can splatter whatever is in the can onto lens coatings, or
in the old days negatives, ruining them.

Not knowing what is in the can, but knowing that it can blow droplets
of whatever it is into what you are cleaning means that while you are
blowing dust away, you are also blowing moisture of some kind on what
you are cleaning. If that moisture is oily then it will become a dust
collector.

I’ve heard some say that you can invert the cans of compressed air,
like Dust Off or other dust blowers, to use them for cold testing
components. If so just be sure to clean up afterwards.

FWIW,
Don Kemper

On May 1, 2019, at 9:17 AM, cheater cheater <cheater00@gmail.com>
wrote:

Ah, I somehow lost the first sentence of the email which was:
"should one shake compressed air or not?"

I guess i need to learn how to post!

On Wed, 1 May 2019, 14:53 cheater00 cheater00 <cheater00@gmail.com
wrote:

I hear conflicting reports on what one should do. What's your take?
Are there different types where you should or shouldn't?

Druckluft 67 (aka Dust Off 67) from Kontakt / CRC says not to shake
the can "or otherwise the fluid might come out", but is it always
the case with all types? What is that fluid for, anyways?

I read reviews of some cheaper compressed air products on amazon
and they complained about the quality. What can go wrong with
compressed air? Two things people brought up were one brand
produced very weak pressure, and another produced flammable rather
than inert gas.
Druckluft 67 touts as being oil free. Are there other things that
might go wrong?

Why would someone use canned compressed air rather than an air
compressor?

Thanks.

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF