Re: Compressed air

Caveman

Photographer as well as a repair tech here, and I say do not shake cans of commercially available compressed air used for blowing dust away. They can splatter whatever is in the can onto lens coatings, or in the old days negatives, ruining them.

Not knowing what is in the can, but knowing that it can blow droplets of whatever it is into what you are cleaning means that while you are blowing dust away, you are also blowing moisture of some kind on what you are cleaning. If that moisture is oily then it will become a dust collector.

I’ve heard some say that you can invert the cans of compressed air, like Dust Off or other dust blowers, to use them for cold testing components. If so just be sure to clean up afterwards.

FWIW,
Don Kemper

On May 1, 2019, at 9:17 AM, cheater cheater <cheater00@gmail.com> wrote:

Ah, I somehow lost the first sentence of the email which was: "should one
shake compressed air or not?"

I guess i need to learn how to post!

On Wed, 1 May 2019, 14:53 cheater00 cheater00 <cheater00@gmail.com wrote:

I hear conflicting reports on what one should do. What's your take?
Are there different types where you should or shouldn't?

Druckluft 67 (aka Dust Off 67) from Kontakt / CRC says not to shake
the can "or otherwise the fluid might come out", but is it always the
case with all types? What is that fluid for, anyways?

I read reviews of some cheaper compressed air products on amazon and
they complained about the quality. What can go wrong with compressed
air? Two things people brought up were one brand produced very weak
pressure, and another produced flammable rather than inert gas.
Druckluft 67 touts as being oil free. Are there other things that
might go wrong?

Why would someone use canned compressed air rather than an air compressor?

Thanks.