From: bobh@...
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 5:06 AM
Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Unusual TM5xx(x) MF - its not a TM500 or a
TM5000

Aren't these referred to as TM502A, TM503A, etc? I have a TM503A and
it also does not have a fan of course since it doesn't have the space
in the bottom, as you mentioned, for air flow.

Bob.

On 4/9/2019 12:08 AM, Dennis Tillman W7PF wrote:
For several years I have been aware that there are some unusual TM
5xx(x) Main Frame power supplies floating around that look, at first
glance like a newer model TM502 or TM503 but they have GPIB
connectors
in them which only a TM5003 or TM5006 would have. In addition there
is
another distinguishing feature to help spot that this is not a
TM5003:
a TM5003 has a 1" high plenum with a grille on the front of the MF
under the three slots. This MF does not have a plenum.

The three wide MF has an additional barrier strip in the center
connector to prevent a common TM500 plugin from being inserted in
it.
The other slot(s) will accept regular TM500 plugins. I have two of
these unusual 3 wide MFs.
An easy way to distinguish them is the unusual adjustable handle
which
lets you position the MF in many different positions on a desk.

These MFs were introduced by Tek to allow some of their GPIB
equipped
TM5000 plugins to be operated as stand-alone instruments. Ones that
am aware of
are:

AFG 5501 (AFG 5101 in a three wide MF)
AM 503S (AM 503 and 016-0362-02 Tool Box in a two wide MF),
also known as AM 5030
DM 5520 (DM 5120 in a three wide MF)
PFG 5505 (PFG 5105 in a three wide MF)
There may be more.

I finally got around to opening one of these 3 wide units up and I
was
very surprised at what I saw. It is extremely sparse. It appears the
Tek engineers have reduced this design down to a bare minimum number
of parts.
There is a transformer (not an SMPS) and a backplane, a few wires
and
connectors, 6 pass transistors and little else.

The backplane has a part number on it and I am hoping someone can
supply a schematic for it although I don't think it is too much
different from a TM503. The backplane is marked RA-9804-00 POWER
SUPPLY (C) 1988.

There are three filter capacitors on the backplane 22,000uF/16V,
4,700uF/50V, and 4,700uF/50V. The backplane has three TM503
connectors
and three GPIB connectors and two pass transistors for each slot.

I couldn't measure the pass transistors to confirm there is a PNP
and
an NPN for each slot but that is a safe assumption. One of the pass
transistors for the middle slot appears to be connected to a 9V
Zener
Diode which appears to force it to be a simple 10V regulator. That
is
probably why there is a barrier strip in the middle slot between
positions 27 and 28. I did not see any reason the back plane
couldn't
be modified to remove the simple regulator and rewire the pass
transistor to be like any other TM503.
Dennis Tillman W7PF

--
Dennis Tillman W7PF