Re: 497P electrolytic question..

John Miles

I've read up on replacing certain caps in the 490 series analyzers... I am
awaiting a new to me 497P and I am aware of the problems with the 2.2uF and
SMD caps. I think I saw some tantalum caps on other boards--are these an
issue? Any other polarized caps that should be replaced, or just left alone?
The tantalums aren't usually a problem (and will be obvious enough if/when they are), so I wouldn't mess with them. You also don't need to worry about the 2.2 uF parts if the display looks good.

The surface-mount aluminum electros, on the other hand, must go ASAP. They are the only caps that need to be pre-emptively replaced.

-- john, KE5FX