Re: Stuck Plug-in with broken handle

Jim Ford

What about 5000 series plug-ins?  My 5103N D10 came with a 5B10N and two 5A15Ns, all without the handles.  I guess the previous owner didn't want somebody to remove the plug-ins!   I've been able to remove them by tugging on the knobs and BNC connectors, but that's obviously not optimum. Does anyone have any of the handle assemblies for 5000 series plug-ins they would be willing to part with?I am in Southern California, USA.Thanks.Jim Ford Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------From: Dennis Tillman W7PF <@Dennis_Tillman_W7PF> Date: 3/31/19 3:23 PM (GMT-08:00) To: TekScopes@groups.io Subject: Re: [TekScopes] Stuck Plug-in with broken handle This has been discussed before on TekScopes so you can look through the archives to find solutions. Usually the first thing to do is flip the scope upside down and remove the bottom cover of the scope. That gives you access from below and sometimes it even allows the plugin to fall-up away from the rail it is stuck on giving you a better chance to get it out.The next thing to do is remove all the other plugins so you can get you hand behind the stuck plugin. That way you can apply firm pressure (but not too much) from the rear to free it.If you talk a look at how a plugin with a pull tab couples to the slot in the rail to lock in place you will see that that if you make yourself a very slender, narrow tool that can be inserted far enough into the rectangular opening where the missing pull tab would be you can sometimes release the stuck plugin by pressing down where it is locking.Don't get too frustrated, it is generally not easy to remove a stuck plugin without the pull tab. The locking mechanism is very effective, so don't be surprised if you go through a lot of trial and error failed attempts before you free the plugin. Dennis Tillman W7PF> -----Original Message-----> From: TekScopes@groups.io [mailto:TekScopes@groups.io] On Behalf Of> John Kolb> Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2019 2:46 PM> To: TekScopes@groups.io> Subject: [TekScopes] Stuck Plug-in with broken handle> > > what's the best way to remove a plug-in with a broken handle? I> plugged it in knowing the handle was missing, but assumed I could> unplug it by removing the plug-ins on either side.  Testing a couple> of 7D15's in a 7834.  First one counts period with input A but not> freq with input B, so I assume Input B problem if I've managed to get> all the switches set correctly.  Stuck plug-in makes pilot light cycle> off and on, so power supply short.> > John> > -- Dennis Tillman W7PFTekScopes Moderator