Re: I wonder if there is much interest in vacuum tube oscilloscopes such as the 500 series

Chuck Harris

Looking at the copyrights and acknowledgements, Stan vanity
pressed his book, using Tamara Wade, Specialty Binding in
Washougal, Washington. He owns the copyright for the finished
work.

If I were a betting man (I'm not), I would bet that Tamara Wade
is/was in someway connected with Tektronix's print shop.

If he still has the galleys (proofs), or can get them, he could
POD very easily.

-Chuck Harris

Shirley Dulcey KE1L wrote:

That's the beauty of print on demand. If people buy the book you make
money, though less than with a conventional print run because the cost
per copy is a bit higher. If nobody buys the book you're out next to
no cash, though you did uselessly spend time preparing your book for a
PoD release. If your primary goal is to get your book out into the
world at a reasonable price for readers, it's a good option. That's
especially true for a reissue of an older book because the time spent
writing it is already gone; you're not up against the prospect of
spending a lot of time writing something and then not getting paid for
it.

The two big players in low cost PoD publishing are Lulu.com and
Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing. (KDP also does ebook publishing, as
you might guess from the name. Amazon's former fully owned company,
CreateSpace, was merged into KDP a couple of years ago.) Both will let
you create books with zero up-front cost, though they also offer
optional services that cost money. (A third company, iUniverse,
started that way but later pivoted into being a more traditional
vanity press, aside from doing its business online.) The zero cost
option ONLY gets you printing; you're on your own for editing,
designing a cover, preparing your book for publication, promotion, and
getting bookstores and event dealers to carry your book. You can sell
your book at their base publishing cost, in which case you make
nothing on sales, or you can set a higher price and receive a portion
of the difference between the base cost and the selling price.

One complication with reprinting old books is that the author may not
own the rights. If the book was published by a conventional publisher,
that company or its successor may own some or all of the future
publication rights. If the company is defunct it can get complicated
to untangle who actually owns the rights to the book now; they could
belong to some person or company that bought pieces of the former
publisher's intellectual property, or they may have never been bought
by anybody and be in legal limbo.