Switching power supplies

Brendan

I have a few questions about power supplies and would like some opinions. Are switching powers supplies inherently harder on components than linear power supplies? If you picked up a 70's-80's vintage scope with a SMPS would you replace power supply components before using it as a daily driver? Or do you treat all power supplies the same and visually inspect, check for ripple and call it good? From my reading it seems that when a SMPS melts down the chain reaction damage has the possibility of being bad.

Brendan