Re: Impedance matching question

David Berlind

That was a decent video, thank you. It doesn't seem like he had problems
with the terminators themselves. In fact, he uses them to address
mismatches. I'd be curious to know (from anyone who knows) why maximum
power (matched impedance) is ideal in some situations, but a low-Z to
high-Z arrangement is the ideal in other situations (ie: guitar to
amplifier or microphone to PA). I realize the outcome in the latter
situation; you preserve the audio highs and lows. But need some schooling
on why to maximize voltage at the load (vs. maximizing transfer power) in
those situations and why the mismatch isn't destructive to the signal. And
correspondingly, why the same isn't true of the impedance match between
output tubes and the primary of an output transformer since its a similar
audio application. Again, I understand the requirements and outcomes... but
am confused about the underlying physics.

Thanks in advance for this help.

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 8:09 PM Roy Thistle <roy.thistle@...>
wrote:

Hi:
If you haven't watched EEVblog #652, he demonstrates a couple of problems
that can arise when using coax, terminators, and Ts, to connect a sig gen
to a scope.
Cheers.