Re: 91% Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol to clean potentiometers?

Richard Knoppow

A better cleaner for pots is Caig Faderlube. It has a little lubricant in it and will not attack the resistance strips. Also works on wire wound pots.
Another place to get dry IPA is at a computer store or department. They usually have 99+% in either bottles or spray cans. IPA absorbs moisture until it becomes 91% which is why its not usually stocked in the dry form. Dry IPA will become 91% if exposed to the air for very long. I think the spray can version probably stays dry for longer than the bottled kind.

On 3/5/2019 5:28 PM, Bill Carns wrote:
If you go to a pharmacy and talk with the Pharmacist, they can give you IPA with a higher percent IPA and less water. This is better for pots, but be careful to not saturate. Sometimes you can damage the carbon resistance layer that is laid down for the wiper to run on. I am not sure if that is true for the ones TEK uses.
Bill
--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@...